Second Conditional/Historical Present – Friends, season 1

Posted on Updated on

A few years back I decided I was going to take my decade-long love of the series Friends seriously and use it professionally. I’d used (and have used) Friends episodes in my classes for as long as I’d been a teacher, but I decided I wanted to take it seriously, do it conscientiously. I then set out to watch the 200+ Friends episodes in order, from the pilot to the last one in season 10. It hasn’t worked out yet (but it will, it will). Nevertheless, I at least have a couple of great activities – if I say so myself – to show for it. Both, tellingly, from season 1.

You can download both activities below, but for the videos, I recommend you try to get your hands on the first complete season of Friends, disc 1.

Historical Present: 001 – s01e01 – Grammar – Historical Present

Second Conditional: 002 – s01es03-04 – Grammar – Second Conditional

I have just purchased the box with the 44 best Friends episodes ever, even though I already have the ten seasons. Maybe a few new activities will be available here in the near future!

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Second Conditional/Historical Present – Friends, season 1

Luiz E Garcia Jr. said:
    April 18, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Higor, I’m really thankful to you for sharing it, and watchin Friends like you are doing is an amazing and a fantastic idea, and your teacher’s notes such a blessed helping hand- you know I suggested a couple of students of mine (now yours) a year ago choosing and watching any series – they chose House, and the result of it I could see immediately after- you can talk about it today as well – but doing what you are doing is an example to be followed – congratulations on being the teacher we dare to dream of being one day..lol.. Hugs..Luiz

Alexandre Melo said:
    April 19, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I really liked Higor. It is very useful. Looking forward to giving this lesson.

Alexandre Melo said:
    April 19, 2012 at 12:13 pm

how can we adapt for A1/A2 students.

Higor Cavalcante said:
      April 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Hi Alexandre,

First of all, thanks for the comments!

As for adapting these activities, A2 students can probably cope will with the Second Conditional activities. As for Historical Present, that’s not a use of the Simple Present which is commonly addressed at lower levels.

I hope this has helped!

Cheers!

Kristin said:
    October 22, 2012 at 11:07 am

Thank you so much for you hard work!! I used the second conditional activity in class today and they loved it! Keep up the good work!

Higor Cavalcante said:
      October 24, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Thank you very much, Kristin! More activities soon! =)